Come one, come all to the Hutt Gorge Race! Yes its that time of the year again when we race for the coveted Hutt Gorge Shield, and of course a fun day out on the water with pals.
When is it you ask? well, it will be held on Saturday 1st of October so save the date!
Here is some of the not so important stuff:
- Entry fee is $15 per paddler ($40 per team)
- Race starts from the “put-in” with the finish flag after “toilet bowl” rapid, that makes it approximately 20 minutes of racing. If you don’t know where the put-in is, please ask!
- Teams consist of 3 members who must paddle and stick together as a team or face the wrath of the gods! (disqualification).
- You need to self-rescue and provide safety for your team members. Although there will be race safety at the more sticky spots.
- Teams need to organise their own shuttles.
- The teams finish time is when the last member touches the finish flag.
- After all have finished the race the group all paddle to take out, licking their wounds and/or bragging about their lines taken.
- There is a maximum boat length of 9 foot (that’s 2,743mm for you modern metric peeps).
- The committee’s decision is final, you better believe it!
- To fill those empty tum tums a BBQ will be held afterwards at the clubrooms with the Shield presentation to the glorious and forever immortalised winning team.
- Camping is available at the Kaitoke regional park at put in, or commercial campground 500m from club rooms.
- On Sunday the fun continues with the Individual races and newly added Inflatable race down the same stretch of river. Pre-race meeting at 9am Sunday. This one will be a gold coin donation with proceeds going to WWNZ.