Come one, come all to the Hutt Gorge Race! Yes its that time of the year again when we race for the coveted Hutt Gorge Shield, and of course a fun weekend out on the water with pals.
When is it you ask? well, the event will be held on Saturday 12th October and Sunday 13th October so save the date and register here!
This year, there will be the Kaitoke Gorge Team Race and the Grade 2 Individual Race on Saturday, while the packrafters do some sessions on Te Awa Kairangi.
The fun will continue Sunday with the Kaitoke Gorge Individual Kayak Race, Kaitoke Gorge Individual Packraft/Inflatable Race, and a Kaitoke Gorge community float for those who don’t want to race.
Camping is available at the Kaitoke regional park at put in (look for Camping Area 5). There will be paddlers there both Friday and Saturday nights, and a BBQ held there on Saturday after racing finishes.
- Race starts from the “put-in” with the finish flag after “toilet bowl” rapid, that makes it approximately 20 minutes of racing. If you don’t know where the put-in is, please ask!
- Teams consist of 3 members who must paddle and stick together as a team or face the wrath of the gods! (disqualification).
- You need to self-rescue and provide safety for your team members (although there will be race safety at the more sticky spots).
- Teams need to organise their own shuttles.
- The teams finish time is when the last member touches the finish flag.
- After all have finished the race the group all paddle to take out, licking their wounds and/or bragging about their lines taken.
- There is a maximum boat length of 9 foot (that’s 2,743mm for you modern metric peeps).
- The committee’s decision is final, you better believe it!
- To fill those empty tum tums a BBQ will be held afterwards at Kaitoke Regional Park with the Shield presentation to the glorious and forever immortalised winning team.
Kaitoke Gorge Team Race (Saturday) – $15 per person
Grade 2 Individual Race (Saturday) – $15 per person
Kaitoke Gorge Individual Race, kayak/packraft/inflatable (Sunday) – Gold coin koha to Hutt Gorge Whio Fund
Kaitoke Gorge community float (Sunday) – Gold coin koha to Hutt Gorge Whio Fund
Please complete this form to register.
3pm – Kaitoke Gorge familiarisation paddle. Dial in your race lines.
Camping at Kaitoke Regional Park, Area 5, Gates close at 9pm
Packrafters – Te Awa Kairangi G2 skills share / safety day start time TBC
9am – Registration opens
10am – Grade 2 Individual Race Starts
12pm – Kaitoke Gorge Team Race starts
5.00pmish – BBQ and Awards Presentation, Kaitoke Regional Park, Area 5
No registration required
9.30am – Kaitoke Gorge Individual Kayak Race starts
9.30am – Kaitoke Gorge individual Packraft/Inflatable Race starts (right after individual kayaks)
9.30am – Kaitoke Gorge community float (anyone who doesn’t feel like racing)